Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Loving the Medic

Got a letter today and it truly made me smile. Cody was having trouble sleeping and wrote about his day. He got up at 5:30 and went on a 5K hike. They then had a Situational Training Experience (or STX). This is were they are basically doing a mock field injuries. His situation was an injured soldier with an amputated hand, severe leg lacerations, and severe chest trauma. He had to assess the situation and secure the soldier. Here, he had to apply tourniquets since that is all they can do until they can secure the surroundings and get the soldier out of danger. He had to rig a stretcher and carry him out of harms way. There he had to take care of the injuries and insert chest tubes. I was so proud when he said that he LOVED IT! He is so excited about getting back and hopefully getting on with an ambulance service as an EMT. I, as well as several family members, have tried to talk him into going into the nursing field, but, he has refused at every level. He said that he did not want to be called a 'male nurse'. I think it's the stigma that some people have about that name. But, I really hope this training will make him think seriously about this field. I have always told him that he would make a great ER nurse or ICU/Trauma nurse and that these areas really needed men. But, like I've said over and over, God has a plan for Cody. This is also part of that plan. He will be going to San Antonio, TX in May to do the specialty training in the Medic field so, I'm anxious to see how that phase will change him. At least he's enjoying some parts of the experience.
Keep him in your prayers as well as Washington State. I have had no word on his situation but, I'm hoping he will get to remain in Cody's presence and that Cody will be able to have a positive influence on him.
Later.....

1 comment:

  1. He needs to talk to Carrie; she is a nurse in the Emergency Department at Druid City Hospital in Tuscaloosa and loves it. It is a 65-bed emergency department (or at least I think that is what she has said) and I can't imagine how hectic that must be! We are enjoying keeping up with his experience through you; my cousin is currently serving in Iraq and is stationed with the Army in Fairbanks, Alaska so keep him (and his wife and new baby daughter) in your prayers too.

    ReplyDelete