Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Gas Chamber

I've gotten to talk to Cody a couple times today. It has been an busy week for him. He has been doing his basic rescue training this past week. He has learned to take care of different types of wounds and starting IVs. He got the IV on the dummy arm without a problem but when starting it on the actual person, he had the correct technique but, the guy had spider veins. He went in ok but, the vein rolled on him and he missed it or went through it. I've had that happen to me several times. Too bad he couldn't have gotten someone with ropes for veins like he has. But, he passed with a 97 average which was pretty good.
On Saturday, he had to do the gas chamber drill. This is where you are placed in a room with your gas mask on and you are made to take the mask off and see how you do or how long you can withstand it. He said that this was horrible!! He did ok at first when they just broke the seal but, when the entire mask came off, he didn't take a deep breath before taking the mask off. He coughed and sputtered for hours after but, one good thing was that he got over his cough and cold. I don't think he recommends this way of ridding yourself of the common cold! haha.
They are packing for a camping and artillery challenge this week. I hope this is a better week for him since he will be doing some shooting. This is one thing he has been excited about. The drill sargents have been 'major asses' this week...guess it's their jobs though! There are still guys that are not doing as they should. There are many that are being sent back home this week due to failure to adapt. Cody's bunkmate "Washington State" may actually be sent back home soon too. He was formally in a gang back in Washington and 'cleaned himself up', and this is a no no for the military. He recieved a call from his girlfriend this week saying that a rival gang had rode by and shot up his house. The girlfriend was once the girlfriend of one of the rival gangmembers. So much drama!! You know, you do everything to keep you kids safe and in the right company and now they go off and join the military and get put with gangmembers!!! But, I know Cody's heart and the values that he has lived by and continues to live by and know that I have nothing to worry about. He actually said that he misses Mississippi!! He's ready to get back to where the people are 'normal'. LOL
Today I have 51 days until I get to see Cody. The time has really gone by fast and I know that it will be here before I know it. I can hear the maturity in his voice each time he calls. This is truly a great experience for him and for me. I think he truly appreciates the life he has lead when before he would imagine being somewhere else and doing things different. Again, I am so proud of you Cody (if you're reading this) and know you are gonna make a great soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment