Friday, February 27, 2009

Still waiting to begin basic

Sitting here tonight networking (Facebooking) and Cody's picture pops up on my phone then goes off. My heart flips and then I wonder what happened. I thought that he was trying to call me and his phone battery died. As I said in my previous post, his battery was almost gone and no charger available. I took a chance and called back. Then, I heard that beautiful voice that I so longed to hear. We did the casual small talk and he really sounded good. He hasn't started the basic training yet. He said it looks like it may be next Wednesday before they would be moved to their basic location. They are still having more people arrive and having to be processed. He had all his shots and lots of bloodwork done yesterday and said that he handled that very well. In the past, he has gotten pale and lightheaded when he has had to have blood drawn. On Thursday, he had Fire Watch at 3 am and thought that was kinda cool...but early. The day begins at 4 am and lights out at 8 pm.
Remember the guy that I told about in my first Post? His name is 'Tate' and he is at Fort Sill with Cody. Now, Tate left alone with his transporter and was headed to Memphis for MEPS, where Cody, Corey, and the 2 other guys were taken to Jackson. Cody said that he was walking around the base and low and behold, there was Tate! He said that Tate was a little jumpy and seemed kinda scared but looked like he was relieved to see a familiar face.
In one of their meetings, they were going over what to expect and what they were told when they signed, and many of them raised their hands when asked if the recruiter lied to them to get them to sign. Cody said that it was so many that actually raised their hand, that he raised his too so that he wouldn't be singled out for anything. But, he said that Sgt Moore had been straight up with him and had told him exactly like it would be. I can't imagine getting somewhere like that and finding out that everything that I had believed had been a lie.
I am so thankful for each and every call that I have gotten because all of them were not expected. Cody sounds so good and positive. We just talked for at least 30 minutes and this is really a first. Usually when we talk, it is just what needs to be said and nothing more but, this time, it was really different. I know there will be lots of changes in him when he gets back and look forward to seeing the man he is to become. I just hope he doesn't loose the Cody that he truly is...

No comments:

Post a Comment