Monday, February 23, 2009

Getting Ready

Well, this is the day that I am supposed to be taking Cody to leave for Basic Training. Was having a little trouble sleeping so, I decided to create a blog for everyone to keep up with his progress. I plan on updating after every phone call or letter that I get.
Almost one year ago, Cody met me at Zaxby's and told me that he was thinking about joining the military. Although he has 'joked' about it in the past, I knew in my heart that he was serious this time. He explained that he was not doing this for the 'money' they were offering but, he truly wanted to have this experience. After many talks and getting him to check out different military divisions, he chose the Army National Guard. His dream was to fly helicopters but, this was not meant to be. While he was gone for his physical, I got a phone call one day at work. I was in North MS Medical Center ICU and recieved a call from Sgt Moore. This was kinda disturbing, so I stepped out and took it. He told me that Cody had just gone through his physical and they had found that he was color-blind. We had never known this and this scared me due to what would be told to me next. Sgt Moore went on to explain that Cody would not be able to do many things in the military due to this problem. Medic was one of the things that was now available (this is not available in any other military branch). He said that being colorblind would knock him out of being on the front lines or flying. After this sunk in, I asked him "Now what's bad about that?". He laughed and told me that this was probably good news for me but, Cody was upset because of his dream to fly.
So, here we are today.I'm getting ready to take him for a 7 month 'trip' and am having a hard time letting him go. I'm trying to be strong and not let him see the tears (tough at times). He will be going to Starkville today and be taken to Jackson tonight. There, he will be put up in the Marriott for the night, have a great meal, and have a mini-physical done tomorrow. From there, he will be taken to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. He will be in Oklahoma for about 10 weeks. I will be making the trip to OK to see him graduate!! Woo Hoo!! He will then go to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX for a 16 week Advanced Training for Medic. He is supposed to be home around the first week of September. I am also planning to go get him and BRING HIM HOME!!!
There WILL BE a party!!
Thanks for all the prayers that have been prayed so far. I have felt each and every one. When I have been on the verge of 'loosing it', there has been this strength that I cannot explain except that I am being lifted up! Thank God that Cody is your child and walks in your faith!

3 comments:

  1. I will keep you and Cody in my prayers. I think he is has made a very responsible choice for his life and I am very proud of you of supporting his decision. Cody is a great kid and will do ya'll proud. I will try to keep up with his progress. Let me know if ever needs cards of inspiration. I am sure I can get my class to write him some feel good cards or I will get my two older boys to write him. They both said they want to be in the military when they grow-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know he is going to be awesome in this new venture of his life. And I will definately keep him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cody is so strong! So are you,Tommy and his sisters for letting him go! He will grow so much on this journey! I wish him the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete