Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Unexpected contacts

Well, since Cody left on Monday, I've actually gotten to hear from him a few times which has been an unexpected pleasure. He had not intended to take his cell phone with him since he would have to turn it in at the base. At the last minute, he decided to take it. He didn't have a charger so, he said he would use it sparingly. He called before he went to bed on Monday and told me that he felt like he had turned into his Daddy. It was 8:00 and he was tired and going to bed...WOW...that is a first! His roomate for the night was actually an older guy that was married with four kids. I bet that goodbye was hard! When I woke up the next morning, I had a 'good morning. I love you!' message that truly made my day.
They went through their physicals and 'stuff' and were taken to the airport in Jackson around 11:30 and were left to wait on the flight out to Dallas at 3:55. A whole day sitting in an airport! So...after, I recieved update texts until he got to the base around 10:00 Tuesday. I didn't expect to get another call until later in the week but, was suprised to get one on Wednesday night. He really sounded up and ready to get started. Complained that everything was just taking so long...just like him to want to jump right in and get going.
I have really handled all of this well. I have suprised myself. I truly believe that it has been due to the prayers and kind words from friends and family that I have. I thank all of you that have been there for us. I know that this is just a stepping stone that people go through everyday, it's not something that I thought I would ever be facing. I have had contact from other parents that have kids in basic training right now that have been a big help. Hopefully, it will get easier everyday.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that I found your blog and will be able to keep up with Cody's adventure. I know that you will miss him - we will be praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete