Monday, April 6, 2009

Tending to the sick

As you may already know, Cody called Sunday and sounded awful. He had been sick since Thursday and was running a fever. Said that he was burning up and felt worse. He was coughing and couldn't talk. For him to want to go to sick call told me just how bad it had to be. That broke me down for the second time. I think I've done pretty good with him gone. But, just knowing your child is sick and needs TLC, absolutely breaks a mama's heart. I can just see him sitting there with those cheeks red like they get when he's hot and tired or running a fever. I have always been in a position to meet all their needs. Working in a clinic when they were young always gave me the advantage to catch any sickness early and head it off before they really got bad. Now, all I can do is sit back and pray that he gets the care he needs and recovers on his own. As Tommy keeps telling me, "he's a man now and you have to let him go". Easier said than done.
I got a text this afternoon telling me that he had waiting all day at sick call (kinda like a free clinic going in and sitting ALL DAY before being seen). He was given the generic cold remedy in Basic...Tylenol, Mucinex, and Cough drops. At least he got that. Before, he could only have Hall's Defense Vitamin C drops. But, Mama took care of that...enough said on that part. Haha...I'll have to tell that story off the internet! Let's just say, I can be crafty when I need to.
Hopefully, Cody will be able to make up today's activity. He was supposed to start learning about grenades and he was excited about that. Thinks that he will do great throwing them being an ex-pitcher/center fielder. Thanks to Arevalo (Washington State), I was able to communicate this afternoon. Arevalo is waiting to be sent home so he doesn't have to live by the same rules right now. He is still Cody's bunkmate but doesn't have to go to marches and the other activities unless he wants to. He also gets to have his cell phone with him. Thankfully, he let Cody get a few messages out so I wouldn't have to worry until the next phone dispursement. As I hear more, I will update. Later....

1 comment: