Friday, April 3, 2009

"Ain't nothin like bein tough"

Tommy got a letter from Cody today that really showed the maturity that has transpired since Cody left. It left both of us speechless. Tommy's comment was 'Boy, I never thought I would be thanked for spanking them'. This letter touched us both in such a way that I have to share it...sorry Cody.

Sometimes I overlook all the things you have taught me. Things like Respect, Loyalty, Responsibility, Determination. You taught me how to push through when something gets too hard. And my favorite one, "Ain't nothin like bein tough". Pretty much everything they are teachin us here. While everyone else is struggling through the work I just suck it up and drive on. When someone is telling us what we need to do everyone else fights back and complains. I just do what I need to. It's almost like Basic Training teaches what most parents fail to teach. I'm glad I learned it from you and Mama. I see the lack of respect that others show and I'm glad I'm not like that. If anyone needs proof that whipping your kids makes them better adults, they can just look at us. I know that no situation can get the better of me because of the values you taught me. Just wanted to let you know that your hard work didn't go to waste. And no matter what I do I will always try my hardest to make you proud. Love Cody

He called Tuesday and again Thursday. He did his final Basic Rifle Marksmanship test and the day was extremely windy with 45-50 mile an hour winds. He got 34 out of 40 which ranked him as a sharp shooter. Too bad the wind was so high cause I feel sure he would have done better. Course, I'm sorta biased. The winds have been a pain with major dirt storms. He said that some of the meals were literally covered with dirt and their faces were almost black from it. He is ready to leave Oklahoma and return to land with some trees. The flat plains are not something that Cody wants to remain on. I do believe he sorta misses Mississippi. Can you believe that?? His platoon ranked first in this BMR exercise. There were 31 out of 60 that passed and the ones that did not were going to get a second chance and if they didn't pass it, they would be recycled. Or, start over. Thank God that Cody passed!!
On another note, Washington State is returning home on Saturday. I wish he would get to remain and be able to finish the Basic Training at least but, the Army makes the decisions. So, whatever you do in your past, it will always come back to bite you in the butt...Just have to make amends and go on. But, Cody has made friends with several others and seems upbeat about the rest of the time left. We are looking forward to going out in May. It seems like it's been forever since I've wrapped my arms around my little boy and now I'll be wrapping them around a man. So, I guess I have to let them grow up sometime...Those of you that have little ones, cherish each day as if it's the last because the time sure goes fast. But, no matter how they mature, when they say (or text) those four words...I love you Mama...it just makes your heart swell.
Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment