Friday, June 26, 2009

The heat is on...

It's been a long summer and it's just started. I've been concerned about the triple digit temps that Cody is having to endure. I know that we all are going through high temps and we just have to drink lots of fluids and keep cool the best we can. But, after talking to him on Thursday night and finding out that they have had 2 soldiers die this week from the heat, I have just had some added worry to this mama mind. The soldiers were from another company but still, they were someone's child. From what I understand, they got up every morning and drank an energy drink before PT drills and passed out. Neither were able to be revived and died. How stupid can someone be??? Very...There are so many young (and older) people that rely on these energy drinks and don't realize that the just dehydrate you in the long run and that leads to major complications. The best thing for your body is just plain old water. Occasional gatorade is good, but water is what your body truly needs. The group at Fort Sam Houston are talking about going to reverse schedules where they will sleep during the hottest part of the day and do the drills and classes during the nights. I know this will be tough to get used to, but due to the excessive heat, it appears to be a good decision. Just a little over 9 weeks left...thank you God!! I really don't want to wish my summer away but, I do wish to get through this heat and get my soldier boy (man) back home. I am going to treasure that fellow like I've never treasured him before. I am so proud of him and all he stands for. He has grown so much since he's been gone. He has matured into a very strong and intelligent man. His values are shining through. There have been some trying times for him out there. So many temptations and aggrevations from some of the guys out there. The lack of discipline has been a real eye opener too. So many of the recruits are really not there for the right reasons and it is showing.
On another note, Cody is doing great with his medic training. His grades are super and at one point, he said he ranked 4th in the group. Of course, when I told
Tommy about this, his comment was..."Why can't he be 1st?". This is typical Tommy...he has always pushed our kids to be the best at whatever they did. Sometimes I thought he pushed them too hard but, all three of them have said that they appreciate the pressure that he placed on them. That pressure made them what they are today. If you're not #1, you lose...Runner up means nothing. So, Cody, keep pushing for the best. I know you can do it. You just have to give the extra mile. Oh, and watching House is not the same as studying...haha You KNOW what I mean!
Cody, I know you read this blog and I just want you to know how very proud I am of you. I know I tell you often, and I will continue. You are doing a wonderful thing by volunteering to serve our country during this difficult time. There is a war going on and that has strenghthened your desire to be a soldier. You and your buddies are great men and are setting such a good example to other people. You will make great leaders in your future and I can't wait to see what this future holds for you, Hunter, and Clint. Again, I am so proud to have been a part of all of this.

I Love You and miss you bunches!!

No comments:

Post a Comment