Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reality hits

Yesterday I got a text that said..."I'm happy here. I'm proud that I'm in the Army". That first made me happy but, then I had to analyze that simple comment. I had to question what had happened to cause that comment. Nothing was the response. I kept digging and the more I dug, the sadder I became. To the point that I boo hoo'd for quite a while. What hit me was the fact that my little boy was no longer my little boy. He has grown and matured into his own man. He told me that it was going to be weird coming back home. Now, I can take that one statement many ways. But, I do understand what it means. He's learned that he can make it on his own and although I will always be his mother, he can do without some of me. I guess that sorta hurts but, it's part of your children growing up. I want them to need me but, I also want them to not need so much. Seems sorta stupid but, hey, it's how I feel. I realize that when I bring him home in September, that he won't be in my house for very long. I know that he will need his own space and his independence. And, being in the parent's house is not going to be what he needs. I always knew that when Cody left home, he would never be back. I have told Tommy that so much and he always told me that he would come home. But, it's not the same. Now, his coming home is mainly to visit. I know that before, he was anxious to get back to his friends and his own lifestyle. I know, all parents experience this 'empty nest syndrome' in some form or fashion
Then, when I talked with Cody Saturday night, he was frustrated...or maybe we should say mad. They were getting smoked quite often because of a few other people's stupid mistakes. There were some guys that had gotten alcohol and had gotten caught. In the Army, they all pay for one's mistake. They had random drug/alcohol screens, had locker checks that morning, and had to suffer the consequences. Also, today, a couple guys left base to get tattoos and did not return for roll call. The whole platoon payed the price for these guys also. They were supposed to get an off base pass next week and that was taken away. They will now be in lock down all weekend. I know this is so frustrating to the ones that are trying to do right. It makes those think that it really doesn't matter because they have to suffer right along with the troublemakers.
This made me mad that my son was having to go through this. I didn't sleep much last night thinking about this and the true meaning. I came to the conclusion that no punishment is too great when you are going about life in the right way. I know Cody is there for a reason and I feel like God has led him here and we may never know the purpose but, there is one. I think about God letting His Son die on the cross for my (and your) sins. Wow...He paid the ultimate price for our stupid mistakes...before we even made them. This really hit me. I'm bellyaching about a little punishment for minor things and God's Son DIED for mine. It kinda sheds a different light on Cody's situation. If Jesus could bear our sins, I do believe that Cody will make it through this minor punishment. He's strong and has the Saviour on his side. There may be someone there that does not and Cody's strength may be what they need to see. I just keep praying that Cody stays strong in his faith and serves God in all he does. I pray for him and his platoon daily and encourage others to lift them up as well. Include also Hunter and Clint in these prayers because I know they are probably experiencing the same obstacles where they are.

1 comment:

  1. I have sat here and read your entire blog back to February. I have teared up so many times. I don't know Cody very well, but I can see what a great job you have done. I am so proud of him and you. My little girl is only 2 and I already get sad thinking of the day when she moves away. They grow up too fast. I will keep Cody and all of your family in my prayers. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete